Pages

March 3, 2012

Every Pastor's Wife Needs A Good Pair Of Running Shoes


I don't know about you, but I need a lot of details to understand the ins-and-outs of things. I am what is called “a process person.” I need to see the reason behind things; I need to be so sure I comprehend the situation before I make a decision, and I don’t move until I do. This could be a blessing for many people, but for a pastor’s wife, a complete understanding of “the process,” it’s not always practical. Let me put it this way: Many times God moves ministry so fast that a pastor’s wife has to be trained to run a marathon in order to catch up with the “pillar of cloud by day and pillar of fire by nigh,” Exodus 13:21. Sometimes we don’t even get a step-by-step detailed strategy of what He is about to do before He moves things around us. Well, this could make a “process person” CRAZY… That means ME!

Some times I find myself praying; “God, can you please slow down so I can catch my breath? You’re going too fast! Can you give me a minute to understand what you are doing, so I can plan things accordingly? I need to organize my life around your assignments and I need to make sure I have control of everything around me. Would you please modify your speed just a little so I can see where I am going?”

HELLO!!! By now you must know I am laughing at myself and I am apologizing profoundly to God for even questioning His ways. Who said I need to understand God’s modus operandi* or what He’s up to?  He doesn’t have to wait for me and He doesn’t have to give me a detailed explanation of “His Plan.” Besides, I was never promised a seat with His Strategic Planning Team. I was just asked to “Trust Him from the bottom of my heart; not to try to figure out everything… He’s the one who will keep me on track,” Proverbs 3:5-6.  He also promised to give me power to do what He wants me to do. He is “working in me, giving me the desire and the power to do what pleases him,” Philippians 2:13.
This is why the Holy Spirit compels me to live a life of faith, because He wants me to rest on His sovereignty and not on my understanding of “the process.” I have no other choice but to bite the bullet and stop over-analyzing His ways. Sometimes I’ll know the whole process… YEAHHHH! But there are going to be times when I wont!  When that time comes, I’ll have to (1) trust Him, (2) tie my running shoes, and (3) start running, because His pillar of cloud and His pillar of fire will already be moving.

“Get rid of everything that slows you down… You must run the race that lies ahead of you and never give up.” Hebrews 12:1-2 (paraphrased)

Lourdes
What better song to describe my words than the song "Come To Me" by  The Loft Sessions by Bethel Church.


Come To Me

I am the Lord youre gone
I go before you know
I stand beside you
And Im all around you
Though you feel Im far away
Im closer than your breath
And I am with you
More than you know

I am the Lord youre peace
No evil will conquer you
So steady now your heart and mind
Come into my rest
And now let your faith all rise
And lift up your weary head
And I am with you
Wherever you go
Come to me
Im all you need
Come to me Im everything

Come to me
Im all you need
Come to me Im your everything

________
mo·dus op·e·ran·di/ˈmōdəs ˌäpəˈrandē/

   Noun:
  1. A particular way or method of doing something, esp. one that is characteristic or well-established.
  2. The way something operates or works.